I’ve decided it’s time. Time to go ALL in and do the Whole 30. I read “It Starts with Food” a few years ago and even tried to complete a Whole 30 at the time. I FAILED. I made it somewhere between 7-10 days and then ate an entire plate of pasta and never looked back.
I’m sure you are wondering why I would even bother trying this again. The answer is simple. I’m in a totally different head space now and I am more capable of handling the struggles effectively than I was the first time around. I honestly don’t think I really wanted to do it the last time and that is why I gave up. I had minimal support and improper planning, it was basically a recipe for disaster.
You may also be thinking…you don’t need to lose weight, why would you put yourself through this? The Whole 30 is not about weight loss. I realize that may be a side effect for some, but my reason for completing it is more about energy and overall health. Some things I have noticed in myself lately are:
- Decreased energy in the morning (an increasing desire for more cups of coffee).
- GI Issues (without TMI, I have had a lot of bloating and stomach upset lately).
- Skin Issues (these are mostly dairy related and I will assess my need for dairy at the end of the Whole 30).
- Restless Sleep (lack of sleep is baby-related, but the quality of the sleep I do get could be improved).
- Sugar Dependence (my main motivator–I need to kick my sugar habit and reset my taste buds).
This time…I am fully prepared to tackle these 30 days with a proper plan and with the help of an online support group. I will start Monday (obviously, because every good plan starts on a Monday). That means, today (Friday) is planning day. That gives me the entire weekend to clear the house of tempting “non-compliant” foods and restock with the essentials.
I can’t wait to go through the next 30 days with you as I share my struggles, my successes, and tips and meals I learn along the way! Here’s the plan so far…
- Friday (February 3rd) — Review the rules on the Whole 30 website and in my book, It Starts with Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig.
- Saturday (February 4th) — Create Week 1 Meal Plan
- Sunday (February 5th) — Shop for Week 1 and Prep
- Monday (February 6th) — Start Day 1!!
If you have any questions about the program I am following or would like to join me in the journey (either privately or via online support group), email me at firstname.lastname@example.org